Fire Season will be here soon. Join us Saturday, June 25th and learn how to be prepared for possible wildfire!
Be Fire & Smoke Ready 2022
Presented by Jaime Royce-Gomes, Manager, Living with Fire Program, with additional information from Truckee Meadows Fire District and Nevada Division of Forestry.
This is a Family-Friendly event with Fire Trucks and Activities for Kids.
We expect two fire engines present, and a kids’ activity table. Something for everyone!
Come and Learn how to be prepared for possible wildfire!
Saturday, June 25, 10:30am – 12:15
at South Valleys Library
15650 Wedge Pkwy., Courtside & Diamond Rooms
This program includes:
- Prepare your property for possible wildfire
- Ensure you have defensible space
- Be prepared for smoke
- Sign up for Code RED, and be alerted of a fire emergency by Washoe County
- Protect pets and livestock
- Be prepared using a Wildfire Evacuation Checklist
- Order a blue, reflective sign for South Valley Fire Fighters to be able to locate your address ($25 up to 5 numbers). It is possible to order blue, reflective address number signs to be placed by the entrance driveway to your home. These are $25 for up to 5 numbers (6 or more numbers can be purchased for an additional charge) Signs are 6”x18”, numbers are 3” White Reflective Vinyl on aluminum plates. For more information, contact: Katy Patterson (775) 240-6977
If you can’t attend, check out these websites for fire ready information:
UNR Fire Ready Program – https://extension.unr.edu/program.aspx?ID=16
Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District; Wildland Fires https://tmfpd.us/wildfire-education/
Nevada Division of Forestry; Wildland Fire https://forestry.nv.gov/wildland-fire-management
Washoe County Fire Plan Report (find your community) https://www.rci-nv.com/reports/washoe/toc.html
Air Now Wildfire Guide (a government website) Lots of information, read through the box on the right. https://www.airnow.gov/wildfire-guide-information/