Staying informed is a key ingredient in keeping you prepared.
- Learn which disasters or emergencies may occur in your neighborhood, and the best actions to take during each kind of emergency. Examples of potential hazards in the Washoe County region include earthquakes, wildfires, flooding, severe storms, disease outbreaks, and avalanches. To learn more, visit: http://www.washoecounty.us/em/hazards.html
- Learn about different weather alerts, such as watches and warnings. Pay close attention to any potential instructions provided at the end of the alert.
- During an emergency, local emergency management will continually be updating the media. Be sure to stay tuned to the various media outlets.
- Include a battery-operated radio or hand crank radio in your emergency kit in case there is no power. Know where to tune your radio during emergencies, such as AM 780 KOH for civil alert emergencies and AM 1150 for public health emergencies.
- Register for emergency notifications by phone, called “CODE RED.” CODE RED is used to notify residents within Washoe County of emergency situations that could affect their neighborhood. To sign up, visit: http://www.washoecounty.us/em/alert.html
- When traveling, learn about potential emergencies that may occur in the regions you will be visiting. Make sure you know what to do should an emergency occur.
For more information on staying informed, visit: http://www.washoecounty.us/em/stayinformed.html